Northville, formerly known as Sound Avenue and Success Post Office, was once a productive farm community north of Riverhead hamlet. The first white landowner was William Wells, a Southolder who purchased the land from the Indians in the late 1600s. Though Wells never lived on the land, his grandson did set up a homestead along Sound Avenue as early as 1724. Other farmers followed.
In the 1920s, Northville was briefly the only incorporated village in Riverhead Town. On Dec. 3, 1921, Sound Avenue, as Northville was then known, held its first village election. The experiment in self-governance did not last long, especially when the founding fathers discovered how expensive the distinction was. The village was dissolved in 1930, but not before voters elected to change the community’s name in 1927 to Northville.
Northville FieldThe Hallocks go back for generations in the Northville area, first settling along what is now the Riverhead-Southold border in the 1680s. Born in 1749, Capt. Zachariah Hallock was a farmer and shoemaker, cobbling more than 1,700 pairs of shoes from 1771 to 1820. Most of what is today referred to as Hallockville was owned by Zachariah in the early 1800s. At least 15 of the Hallock homes and outbuildings are preserved along Sound Avenue as part of the Hallockville Farm and Folklife Museum.